A cherry bon-bon on the nose, Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’17 entices with fresh raspberry, juicy strawberry and sweet, red, toffee-apple. Cherry-red with a vibrant purple edge, gamay’s soft tannins give the palate moreish balance and weight. Flecks of aniseed and baking spices run through to the long finish. Delicious with depth, sippable with substance, Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’17 has character and charm, as well as oodles of red fruit freshness and immediate appeal.
Wine Storage Suggestions
Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’17 can be enjoyed immediately upon release and can be served at room temperature or, during summer, lightly chilled. It will continue to develop in bottle for two years from harvest.
Total acidity as tartaric: 5.0g/l
Residual sugar: Dry
The unique ‘maceration carbonique’ fermentation, which enhances the fruit and floral aromas of the wine, was used for 53% of the grapes. The other 47% received a traditional, warm, red wine fermentation. The resulting wines completed their malolactic fermentation and were matured for seven weeks in seasoned French oak barrels, before blending and bottling.
In 1995, Te Mata Estate introduced to New Zealand a superior selection of Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc, the grape variety of the best wines of France’s Beaujolais region. Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’17 is a single vineyard wine from Te Mata Estate’s Woodthorpe Terraces vineyard,havested between 24th and 25th March 2017.
Woodthorpe vineyard is located on elevated, north-facing terraces in Hawke’s Bay Tutaekuri river valley. Between 1863 and 1914 it was home to the annual Woodthorpe races. Today it’s ideal aspect and free draining soils provide Te Mata Estate a unique location for quality grapes.
'Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir '17 - A ripe, robust number for summer parties or even the Christmas turkey.' 90 pointsJane Parkinson, James Halliday Reviews, December 2017 All Reviews