Estate Vineyards

Gamay Noir '09

Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir '18

Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir can be enjoyed immediately upon release and can beserved at room temperature or, during summer, lightly chilled. It will continue to develop in bottle for two years from harvest.

$19.90/ bottle

Tasting Notes 2009

Te Mata Estate Woodthorpe Gamay Noir ‘09 is a vibrant crimson colour with wonderful aromas of raspberries, dark cherries, violets and cinnamon. The palate is very ripe, showing the same crushed berry flavours, and with gentle notes of milk chocolate, all leading to a soft, supple, finish.

Woodthorpe Gamay Noir ‘09 is amazingly versatile, it can be partnered with just about any food, and is a particularly great match with spicy Asian or Indian cuisine. It can be enjoyed immediately upon release and will continue to develop in bottle for two years from harvest.

Technical Analysis

pH: 3.5
Total acidity as tartaric: 5.3g/l
Alcohol: 13%
Residual sugar: Dry

Winemaking

The unique ‘maceration carbonique’ fermentation, which enhances the fruit and fl oral aromas of the wine, was used for 60% of the grapes. The other 40% received a traditional, warm, red winefermentation. The resulting wines completed their malolactic fermentation and were matured for 3 months in seasoned French oak barrels, before blending and bottling.

Vineyards

Te Mata Estate Woodthorpe Gamay Noir ‘09 is a single vineyard wine, harvested between 3 and 18 March 2009.

Origin

Woodthorpe vineyard is located on elevated, north-facing terraces in Hawke’s Bay Tutaekuri river valley. Between 1863 and 1914 it was home to the annual Woodthorpe races. Today it’s ideal aspect and free draining soils provide Te Mata Estate a unique location for quality grapes.

View this Tasting Note as a PDF.