Estate Vineyards

Gamay Noir '16

Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir '16

Sourced exclusively from Te Mata Estate’s own vineyards, the Estate Vineyards wines represent the best qualities of their variety, vintage, and Hawke’s Bay origin.

$19.90/ bottle

Gamay Noir the grape of Beaujolais, produces a delicious wine bursting with crushed red-berry characters. Its vibrant fruit provides immediate appeal and flavour to match spicy cuisine. Delicious served lightly chilled.

Tasting Notes 2016

Candy-apple crimson with a lifted confectionery nose of wild strawberries, Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’16 shows ripe, juicy cherry and cranberry on the palate, with just a hint of cinnamon and liquorice. As picnic-perfect as berries and cream, Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’16 is soft and supple, with a lingering finish of bright, fresh red fruit.

Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’16 can be enjoyed immediately upon release and can beserved at room temperature or, during summer, lightly chilled. It will continue to develop in bottle for two years from harvest.

Technical Analysis

pH: 3.58
Total acidity as tartaric: 5.0g/l
Alcohol: 12.5%
Residual sugar: Dry


The unique ‘maceration carbonique’ fermentation, which enhances the fruit and floral aromas of the wine, was used for 55% of the grapes. The other 45% received a traditional, warm, red wine fermentation. The resulting wines completed their malolactic fermentation and were matured for seven weeks in seasoned French oak barrels, before blending and bottling. 


In 1995, Te Mata Estate introduced to New Zealand a superior selection of Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc, the grape variety of the best wines of France’s Beaujolais region. Estate Vineyards Gamay Noir ’16 is a single vineyard wine from Te Mata Estate’s Woodthorpe Terraces vineyard, harvested between 29th and 30th March 2016.


Woodthorpe vineyard is located on elevated, north-facing terraces in Hawke’s Bay Tutaekuri river valley. Between 1863 and 1914 it was home to the annual Woodthorpe races. Today it’s ideal aspect and free draining soils provide Te Mata Estate a unique location for quality grapes.

View this Tasting Note as a PDF

'This hits the right spot. Bright, lively and refreshing, filled with raspberry, cranberry and floral notes on the nose, followed by a juicy palate that is light and vibrant. Approachable, delightful and very tasty. At its best: now to 2016.' 88 points ★★★★
Sam Kim, Wine Orbit Te Mata Showcase Summary, 2015 All Reviews